- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 5 stalks of dried cloves
- 1 onion, chopped up
- 1 chilli, chopped up
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped up
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 300g cooking bacon, chopped up
- 300g fresh tomatoes, chopped up
- 200g red lentils
- 400ml water
- Heat up the olive oil in a sauce pan. Add the cumin seeds and dried cloves and fry till they begin to crackle.
- Throw in the chopped onion and cook until it is browned. Then add the garlic, chilli and basil and cook for another one minute.
- Add the bacon and cook till it is nearly done.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes and cook for a further two minutes.
- Put the lentils and water in a separate pot, bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Then add the lentils and water to the cooked bacon and tomatoes, and continue to cook for another 20 minutes.
- Allow the soup to cool, then liquidise with a hand blender or food mixer.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with crusty bread.